Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Reading

I hardly read storybooks when I was young, and I was only exposed to commercial writers like John Grisham, Stephen King, Jeffrey Archer, rather late. That probably explains why there is little 墨水 in me :)

As I grow older, somehow there is an awakening, perhaps also influence from friends as well, that there is so much out there in the literary world that I'm missing out. Hence I'm doing whatever I can, to catch up on what I've missed, and pick up reading as a hobby.

Recently I've also been introduced to audio books and its a whole new world out there! I'm not saying that one should switch from reading a book to listen to audio books but its a totally different experience and you may want to give it a try to see if you like it.

About a month ago, I was introduced to this author Kurt Vonnegut, who bears some resemblance in both literary style and physical appearance to the great Mark Twain. I downloaded some of Kurt's audio books but have yet to listen to it. On 11th April, he passed away at the age of 84 due to a fall.

It's sad that I only got to know about him and his works after he passed away. As I am a slow reader, I have the tendency to give up reading half way if I lose interest. I hope I will finish reading his books and write some reviews here. By writing this down, it will also serve as a reminder to myself to finish up what I've intended to do. To my friends, if you next see me, ask me if I've finished reading :)

A nice quote from my friend beaulotus (who got the quote from her teacher):
" When a task has once begun, never leave it till it's done. Be the labour great or small, do it well or not at all."

No comments: