Thursday, June 14, 2007

Smitten

I have been smitten by the music of this Japanese singer Oda Kazumasa 小田和正 recently and I shall reserved this space to rave about him.
You might not know him or heard of his songs before but I was ignorant of his works few years back too.

My good friend KL said that he introduced this artiste to me ages ago but I think I was too caught up in my own world of 80s music and oldies so not open to all the other genre of music that I'm not familiar with. Thou shall bear the consequences and make up for lost time and try to get to know more about this great singer.


I happened to chat to my japanese colleague sometime back as he is coming to Singapore to attend training and I asked for his help to get a japanese cd for my friend KL. My jap colleague sent me a youtube link and recommend me the song by Oda. It's a concert clip and later I got to know from KL and my sister that Oda came down to Singapore to hold a concert early 2000/1. KL and friend, my sister and BIL all went and enjoyed it, the one night concert was sold out by the way! Oda was a member from the group Off Course during the 70s and later carved out his solo career in the 80s and if you like a comparison, you can liken him to Sting from the group The Police. He is 60 years old but his vocals still sound so crisp and young.

Here is the youtube link that I would like to share. The song is titled "Sayonara さよなら" and I would like to dedicate this to my friend JP who will be going for an overseas posting later this month:

Last week I was so happy when I found a copy of Oda's greatest hits compilation on Yahoo auction! Yes this is what music can do to me, I can simply go ga-ga and will go hunt for CDs and start collecting :)
















Besides the song Sayonara, track 6 "Kotoba Ni Dekinai" 言葉にできない from the CD is simply awesome! Take a listen:

5 comments:

music-nazi ~ musik mit uns said...

Ya ya ya you finally admitted. It's not late though....come and pray respect to music-nazi...haha

I, Cactus said...

Hi,
when is ur friend coming back from Japan? I heard the group S.E.N.S has new albums. I love their "The very best of SENS" & "The very best of SENS Disk2". Can you pls help me to ask if they have new compilation for their later albums? Coz i can't buy from Singapore.

Thanks.

JiveJove said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JiveJove said...

O-ki-ni gozaimashita. So touched. Sayonara, my friend, and de wa mattta!

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for this song (sayonara) for more than 20 years. Only lately I found it in youtube. I was completely smittened by this song in the 80s. It was the soundtrack of a jap serial on tv then. This song is simply beyond description, for I am still in love with it for more than 20 years.