Saturday, March 31, 2007

Lights off in Sydney

When it comes to food, I am not that picky, my philosophy when it comes to food: eat to live as compared to live to eat :) Went dinner at around 7pm just now. Since I'm alone, I see no point in spending too much on food so just look for some place and chin chai eat. Last few days I have been eating at food courts but most of them are closed by this time so I wandered to a Japanese cafe near Kinokuniya. Had one of those chicken-don and by the time I finished, it was about 8pm.

As I made my way out, I noticed the streets were unusually dark. Most shops are closed by 7pm on weekdays too but I dont recall seeing so much darkness along the streets. Anyway I dont have any place to go so went straight back to hotel. I switched on the TV to watch the FINA Swimming Championship. In between the telecast, there was a news update and then I got to know that Sydney is dimming the lights tonight to protest emissions. So-des-neh! When I looked out from my hotel room window, alot of buildings doesn't have their usual lightings on.

Surfed the web and read more about it. Found that that this exercise starts from 7.30pm for one hour and city officials, thousands of businesses and many more residents cut the lights for energy conservation. No wonder lah, when I was having dinner just now, at one point, one part of the cafe lights suddenly went off and a few diners including me, thought the lights went kaputt.

Luckily I didnt plan to go to see the Harbour Bridge and the Opera house tonight cos I went there this afternoon and took alot of pictures already. Also took some night shots on one of the weekday nights.

It was also reported that Sydney is not the first place to cut the lights for conservation. In February, Paris and other parts of France dimmed the lights for five minutes in a similar gesture, Rome and Athens also took part in it.

I think at some point, we are all guilty in not doing enough to conserve energy. In Singapore, no doubt our weather is hot and humid, in certain places I feel we are using too much aircon. One example is the Geylang East library near my place. I go there very often, at least thrice a week and it is so cold, dont know why they have to set it to so low. I have not feedbacked to them yet, think I should do it and see what they have to say about it.

No comments: