Sunday, October 15, 2006

Mother of mine

I saw this remarkable Finnish film "Mother of Film" yesterday. It was shown as part of the annual European film festival, organised by the European society of Singapore.

The story is about Eero, a war child, who was sent to Sweden to seek refuge when Finland was in war during World War II. Eero was separated from his mother and was assigned to a foster Swedish family. The foster mum did not like him initially but their relationship grows and Eero slowly accepts her as his mother.














The film has great cinematography, with each frame looking like a picturesque postcard. The film was Finland's entry to the Oscar foreign film category in 2005 but did not make it to the final five.

I have not seen a movie for a while that touches me as much as this one did. Perhaps the loss I've been through before allow me to immerse myself to the character's anguish and pain, I can't help letting my tears flow ...

No comments: