Tuesday, February 06, 2007

To queue or not to queue

In the words of William Shakespeare, to queue or not to queue, that is the question :)
I have this incident to share during my recent KL trip.

I was put up at Hilton Kuala Lumpur, situated very near to the KL Sentral station, an interchange where you can commute easily using their different forms of train systems.
Over the span of five days, I use the following trains to get from site to site and it is really a good means of transportation, cheaper and faster than taking a cab.
  • KLIA Ekspres
You can ride on this to get from the Airport to KL Sentral station, very comfortable and clean. One plus point is it is non-stop and the whole journey clocks at a flat 28mins.
  • KL Monorail
I took this to go to Times Square shopping mall. The Monorail station is within a stone throw from Sentral station.
  • KLIA Transit
Took this to Mid Valley Shopping mall.
  • KL LRT
Use this to go to my customer site which is 5 mins from the KLCC station. It is their equivalent of our MRT system.

On my very first trip taking their LRT, after getting down the stairs , I walked towards the yellow line and waited patiently for the train. As the train was abit late, I looked around and was abit shocked to see lines of people queuing! Didnt know they have such a 'system' to queue to get into the trains cos you know in Singapore, we like to queue for food, freebies, buy condos but NEVER for buses or MRT. I felt abit embarrassed cos I realised I was the only soul standing near the yellow line and everyone seems to be staring at me. With that malu look on my face, I went to join in the queue :) I observed this queueing happens in all the different LRT stations that I went to.

A few days later, I decided to go to another shopping mall and in order to reach there, I need to take the KLIA Transit, not the subway type. While making my way down to the train waiting area, I saw hoards of people crowding around the yellow line and there is no queues whatsoever. When the train arrives, everybody try to push and squeeze their way through to get into the train cabins.

Hmm, such double standards. Why can't they adopt a common standard, either queue for all or don't queue at all :)

Well, moral of the story: do as the Romans do.

No comments: