Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Pass it on

A new year has begun, I have been clearing leaves since 26th Dec and will get back to work coming Friday. During the last few days, I have started to do some spring cleaning. I went through my wardrobe and took out some of the old ones that I have "over-worn" :) During the Xmas and NY period, I managed to grab some good and cheap buys and they come in handy to replace those old ones. Some of these clothes are still very much in wearable condition and I will be passing them to my cousin, see whether he wants any of them or not. Have told my aunt that if there are any that my cousin do not fancy, I will donate them elsewhere.

I remembered when I was young, I will ask my mum to check with my aunts if my elder cousins have any clothes in particular tshirts that they do not want but still in good condition. I will "inherit" them and wear them at home or as casual wear. Also, whenever school term closes, I will also ask my cousins for their used textbooks, assessment books etc. I do not mind them being old at all, in fact I prefer it as my cousins will usually jot or highlight important stuff to take note of.

As I grew up, I somehow "evolve" to have a garung guni nature, haha. I start to collect old stuff, from stamps, first day covers, to CDs, DVDs, postcards, magazines, books ... the list goes on. Sometimes I will trouble my friends to help source for certain old CDs from flea market or ask them to get the Krisflyer magazine when they are flying.

You'll probably think "oh gosh, his house must be filled up with garage!" :) Well, I have mellowed over the years and have since gave away, sold away some of the stuff that have been collecting dust over the years. I find it very wasteful to throw away things like that so when its my turn to give away stuff, I will always choose the "pass it on" way, will try to find who needs what and will donate them. Just last night, I managed to bring out my kitchen wares, lay them out on the kitchen floor and go through with wife see which ones we do not need anymore. Managed to find an inheritor :) and have placed the goods nicely in a box and will pass it to my friend over the weekend.

With CNY just around the corner, and more spring cleaning to come, I hope you will do the same and help donate the unwanted stuff to someone who may need it more :)

1 comment:

Beau Lotus 涟 said...

Since I now qualify as "OLD" friend, I imagine that I'm good enough to keep, ah?

I hardly throw anything away myself. Usually donate to charity. And I pass on my kids' clothes to my nieces and nephew or to friends. I have alot of stuff though, as I'm a compulsive shopper...

Lately I am quite into old stuff myself : 70s clothes, crocodile bags, gold mesh bags, antique furniture, old-style gold jewellery...:-)

Happy Spring Cleaning, anything interesting you don't want alert me.