Thursday, July 13, 2006

New Seven Wonders

My friend sent me this link: http://www.new7wonders.com/ to take part in this global project to elect the new seven wonders of the world. There are 21 candidates to choose from and while pondering over which one to choose, let me trace my footprints to see where/when I've visited these sights.

Acropolis, Athens, Greece.
Visited in 1997, spent 10 days in Athens and two of the Greek islands (Mykonos, Santorini)




Alhambra, Granada, Spain.
Visited in Dec 2005 for my honeymoon.






Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia
Visited in March 2003. Went to Phomh Penh as well.






The Pyradmid at Chichen Itza, Mexico
Not visited.





Christ Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Not visited.





Sidetracked: Saw a picture posted by someone of the view of this monument taken from Mt Corcovado. Have you heard of the song "Corcovado" sung byAstrud Gilberto written by Antonio Carlos Jobim ? It is one of my favourites and I didn't know the song draws inspiration from the mountain till what I found out today. The song title in English is translated as Quiet Nights Of Quiet Star, it is covered by many artistes from Miles Davis to Frank Sinatra to Sergio Mendes, usually done in a soothing jazzy feel. I was pleasantly surprised when I first hear a electronic funky beat version, covered by Everything But the Girl, it was refreshingly done! I enjoyed this as much as the 'quiet' versions :)

"Quiet nights of quiet stars, quiet chords from my guitar
floating on the silence that surrounds us.

Quiet thoughts and quiet dreams, quiet walks by quiet streams
and a window that looks out on the mountains and the sea, oh how lovely

This is where I want to be here with you so close to me
until the final flicker of life's ember.

I who was lost and lonely believing life was only
a bitter tragic joke, have found with you,
the meaning of existence, oh my love
"

Colosseum, Rome, Italy
Visited in July 1995





Easter Island Statues, Chile
Not visited





Eiffel Tower, Paris, France
Visited in July 1995 and July 1998






Great Wall, Beijing, China
Visited in 2000 and 2001.




Hagia Sophia, Istanbul, Turkey
Not visited






Kiyomizu Temple, Kyoto, Japan
Visited in 1997






Krelin/St Basil, Moscow, Russia
Not visited





Machu Picchu, Peru
Not visited






Neuschwanstein Castle, Germany
Didn't go inside the castle, went there during July 1995 as part of Europe backpacking tour.



Petra, Jordan
Not visited



Pyramids of Giza, Egypt
Not visited






Statue of Liberty, New York, USA
Visited in Apr 2006.
Didn't visit the island and go up the statue. Took a ferry to see the statue from a distance.





Stonehenge, UK
Visited in July 1998






Opera House, Sydney, Australia
Visited in 2000





Taj Mahal, Agra, India
Not visited






Timbuktu, Mali
Not visited

No comments: