Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Books


Title: The Little Prince
Author: Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Translated by Katherine Woods








And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye

Grown-ups love figures. When you tell them that you have made a new friend, they never ask you any questions about essential matters. They never say to you, "What does his voice sound like? What games does he love best? Does he collect butterflies?" Instead, they demand: "How old is he? How many brothers has he? How much does he weigh? How much money does his father make?" Only from these figures do they think they have learned anything about him.


Title: Kite Runner
Author: Khaled Hosseini











"
I sat on a park bench near a willow tree. I thought about something Rahim Khan said just before he hung up, almost as an afterthought. There is a way to be good again. I looked up at those twin kites. I thought about Hassan. Thought about Baba. Ali. Kabul. I thought of the life I had lived until the winter of 1975 came along and changed everything. And made me what I am today."



Title: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Author: Mark Haddon











"This is a murder mystery novel.
Siobhan said that I should write something I would want to read myself. Mostly I read books
about science and maths. I do not like proper novels. In proper novels people say things like,
"I am veined with iron, with silver and with streaks of common mud. I cannot contract into
the firm fist with which those clench who do not depend on stimulus." What does this mean? I
do not know. Nor does Father. Nor does Siobhan or Mr. Jeavons. I have asked them."

“…feelings are just having a picture on the screen in your head of what is going to happen tomorrow or next year, or what might have happened instead of what did happen, and if it is a happy picture they smile and if it is a sad picture they cry.”

"I like dogs. You always know what a dog is thinking. It has four moods. Happy, sad, cross and
concentrating. Also, dogs are faithful and they do not tell lies because they cannot talk."

“Lots of things are mysteries. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t an answer to them. It’s just that scientists haven’t found the answer yet.”

Title: Tuesdays with Morrie
Author: Mitch Albom









"So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important. This is because they're chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning."

"The culture we have does not make people feel good about themselves... And you have to be strong enough to say if the culture doesn't work, don't buy it."

No comments: